Become a member
We invite student groups, networks and organisations to apply for membership. Together we can mobilise a global movement with a greater impact on the emissions of higher education institutions.
Together is better!
The climate crisis is already affecting the ecological, economic, and social stability of our societies and ecosystems. As students of higher education institutions, we must recognise and use our power and influence to push for immediate action.
Become a member in our international Climate Students Movement and co-create the international solution that the earth needs! Our movement is about building a global network and organisation that is able to realise international change.
A success story
Our forerunner, the Climate Students Sweden association, has set up 17 local groups since it was founded in 2018. The movement has gained a lot of momentum in a short amount of time. One of their biggest achievements include influencing 37 Swedish universities and colleges to adopt a Climate Framework, and pushing the Swedish Ministry of Higher Education to change the appropriation letter of the governments.
They’ve also set up a Climate Action Ranking, creating a ranking for universities based on their climate action. This puts pressure on higher education institutions to work on their direct emissions, as this may influence students applications in the future. It also increases the competitive elements to encourage them to collaborate and work harder on their climate targets and goals.
Members have also carried out fascinating projects from creating a Sustainability Month from scratch, planning massive projects to increase biodiversity within their region, creating guidebooks for students, and writing Climate Commitment Letter to their universities.
Learn more about these innovative strategies in the video below through the Climate Students Conference held on 23rd October 2021!
What we offer
The whole purpose of our movement is to make your group, network or organisation stronger. We, in the international board, are here to both support and help you, in line with our own organisation. Our operations are to:
- Strengthen member organisations’ skills, knowledge, tools, equipment, and other resources needed to push higher education institutions.
- Mobilise and support students to start up new Climate Students groups locally and Climate Students organisations nationally.
- Coordinate and facilitate international campaigns for the development of students’ climate action papers.
- Organise international network meetings and conferences for member organisations and student groups, initiatives and organisations.
Through our network, you get to:
- Gain skills, knowledge, tools, equipments, and other resources needed to push HEIs through some of our conferences, workshops, and meetings
- Receive assistance and suggestions on setting up, developing, and expanding your organisation locally
- Be part of a global movement, increasing advocacy capacity and realising international change
- Gain exposure to groups from different parts of the world, sharing resources and adapting ideas from different groups
- Find collaboration partners through access to our network and contacts
- Find common problems and solve them together to co-create the international solution that the earth needs
- Reach a wider audience through our webpage and social media platforms
Who can apply?
All local or national groups, networks and organisations which act according to our statutes are welcome as members in our association: the International Climate Students Movement. To become a member you need to be, or to start up:
- A national Climate Students organisation or network.
- A national student organisation or network with an internal Climate Students group.
- A local Climate Student organisation at a university or college.
- A local student organisation with an internal Climate Students group at a university or college.
If you are interested in our membership, or if you want to start up a group, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.